Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Preferences


A question that simply jumps out at me is "what type of art speaks to you"? Art is so diverse and such a personal indulgence I am sure there are as many answers to that question as there are art enthusiasts. Personally, having grown up around an artist who painted life as he saw it and who's mantra was "if I could paint the fragrance of the rose into my painting I would", I lean towards realism. To be able to paint in such a way that accurately mimics life to me is the height of artistic talent and achievement. Clearly the majority within the art community does not subscribe to that ideology as witnessed by the prices that a Picasso, a Botero or a Pollack would fetch. I just cant help to sit back and scratch my head in wonder.




Now let me clarify. I am not an educated art connoisseur, I have never taken an art course on art appreciation, I simply know what I like and can see and understand the brilliance of the realist artist who correctly displays life on canvas as opposed to "throwing paint" or creating something that my 4 year old granddaughter could do. I am floored when I review what art sells for at Christys and Sothebys and when a piece sells for over $40 million depicting $1 dollar bills... well, let's just say "I don't get it" ... someone, anyone, educate me... I'm all ears.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean. Even if I'm not an artist myself, I still enjoy good art. When I hear about the stuff on the news and what it sells for, it really blows me away. I'm not much for the abstract stuff or the artwork that's all cartooned up. Doesn't make sence to me. The work isn't even that good. On the other hand, what I see here in your blog is really something. It almost looks more like the real thing than a painting. When I go outside and see the word in all it's splender, and all the people walking around in all asspects of life. That to me is the real deal. And when someone can transform that reality onto canvas, then that is true art to me. Wonderful stuff. I would love to see this work in person someday. How long does it take to do a piece like that? I'm sure looking at an original in person would be a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, in my opinion talent is no where to be found in so many pieces from artists who's work is selling for stupid money! Rodolfo Escalera was amazing his realism continues to leave me in awe.

    ReplyDelete